Thursday, September 1, 2022

Broncos sign QB Russell Wilson for a 5-year extension of $245M US: Report | CBC Sports

Denver Broncos and quarterback Russell Wilson have agreed a five-year, $245 million US extension that includes $165 million in guarantees, a person with knowledge of the deal confirmed to The Associated Press Thursday morning.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the detail, which was previously reported by ESPN, had not been confirmed by representatives for the team or Wilson.

As word of the deal spread, the Broncos tweeted a short clip of Wilson with the team’s signature catchphrase “Let’s Ride.”

The expansion pays Wilson an average salary of $49 million annually and keeps him in Denver during the 2028 season.

It’s a shame Aaron Rodgers averaged $50 million over the four years the Packers QB signed a $200 million deal to stay at Green Bay this year.

Wilson’s $165 million in guaranteed funding exceeds that of Rodgers ($153 million) and Kyler Murray of Arizona, whose new five-year, $230.5 million deal includes $160 million in guarantees. But it shied away from signing Deshan Watson’s fully-guaranteed $230 million, five-year contract with Cleveland.

Wilson had two years and $51 million left on his contract when the Broncos acquired him from Seattle in March for a package of three players and five draft picks.

Wilson set to earn $51M in next 2 years

Wilson is set to earn $24 million this season and $27 million next year before the expansion begins.

New co-owner and CEO Greg Penner, whose ownership group paid a record $4.65 billion for the team this summer, said last month that general manager George Patton’s trade for Wilson in the spring made the Broncos an even more lucrative asset. made.

“We couldn’t be more excited as we went through the process to see that the organization traded for Russell,” Penner said. “It is important to have a great quarterback in this league and it is a tremendous advantage for us to be in this organization with Russell.

“On our first labor trip here in May, we were one of the first people we ran into the hallway when Robo [Walton]Carrie [Walton Penner], and I was Russell here,” Penner said. “Immediately, we understood how positive he is as a leader. He is such a dynamic person. I can’t wait to see him on the field.”

Wilson will make his Denver debut on September 12, when the Broncos begin the season in Seattle, where Wilson played for a decade, leading the Seahawks to two Super Bowl appearances and a championship.



Source link

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Lions trade for QB Vernon Adams Jr. to replace injured star Rourke, O'Connor. CBC Sports

The BC Lions acquired veteran quarterback Vernon Adams Jr. from the Montreal Alouettes on Wednesday for their 2023 first-round draft pick.

Meets the requirement of Adams BC (8-2). Last week, starter Nathan Rourke had leg surgery and backup Michael O’Connor was injured in a 23-16 loss to the Saskatchewan Roughriders last week.

The Lions returned to action on September 9, visiting Montreal.

“Acquiring a player of Vernon’s caliber provides a huge boost to our offense as we push for a return to the playoffs,” Lions co-GM/Director of Football Operations Neil McAvoy said in a statement.

Montreal was not finishing the job. The Alouettes sent American defensive lineman Avery Ellis and the 2023 third-round pick to the Edmonton Elks on Wednesday with defensive lineman Thomas Costigan and defensive back Nafees Lyon, both Americans.

Alouettes releases Normando

On Wednesday evening, Alouettes released Canadian fullback Christophe Normand. He faces two charges of luring a child under the age of 18, which includes luring a child under the age of 16, or who was alleged to have been under the age of 16 at the time of the crime.

Adams, 29, has appeared in 67 career CFL regular-season games over the past six seasons with Montreal (2016–17, 2018–22) and Saskatchewan (2017). The California native has covered 6,988 yards with 43 touchdown passes and 26 interceptions.

The five-foot-11, 200-pound Adams has also raced for 978 yards and 20 TD on 203 carries.

Adams was originally on the Lions’ negotiating list. But he was introduced in Montreal in May 2016 for a ’17 first-round pick that moved BC McMaster receiver Danny Vandervoot to third overall.

Vandervoot is currently with the Edmonton Elks.

Source link

Monday, August 29, 2022

SDSU defends handling of investigation into Matt Araiza gang rape allegation CBC Sports

WARNING: This article contains graphic material and may affect people who have experienced sexual violence or know someone affected by it.

San Diego State football coach Brady Hock said Monday he didn’t know star painter Matt Ariza was accused of participating in the gang-rape of a 17-year-old girl at an off-campus party in October until a civil The suit was not filed. Week.

Hoke’s boss, athletic director John David Wicker, defended the school administration’s decision to comply with the San Diego Police Department’s request of a campus investigation of alleged gang rape until officers completed their criminal investigation. Requested to delay the lead-in investigation. The incident happened on October 17 at a Halloween party at a house where Ariza was staying.

Ariza, nicknamed the “Punt God” and hailed as a unanimous All-American who helped SDSU to a school-best 12-2 season, was cited as a graphic by the Buffalo Bills on Saturday in a civil lawsuit. Two days later it was cut. Details were filed against him and former teammates Xavier Leonard and NovellĂ­n “Pa” Ivalico. Leonard and Ivalico are no longer with the team, Wicker said.

The school’s decision to join the SDPD was criticized by rape survivor and public speaker Brenda Tracy, who was brought in by SDSU to speak to the football team and other male athletes nearly three weeks after the alleged assault. Tracy said in a statement posted on Twitter Sunday night that she was told by a member of SDSU staff that “an incident had happened.”

Tracy said that as she learns more details, “it’s becoming more clear that SDSU didn’t do the right thing. Institutions shouldn’t delay police investigations. Title IX and criminal cases can go hand in hand.” .. even without reporting the victim directly to the school, her father did, and the school could have contacted her. Anonymous tips, one of which included a name, should have been followed immediately “

Vickers confirmed that Tracy was brought to the premises.

“It’s absolutely not true that we threw it down the rug because it was football, because we had a successful season,” Wicker said. “It’s not who we are and that’s not who I am. It questions my morality and my morality and that’s not true.”

‘I still firmly believe that allowing the SDPD to handle its investigation was the right way’

Wicker and Hock tried to avoid questions about the alleged gang rape at a news conference on Monday. He read out brief statements and offered to answer questions about Saturday’s game against Arizona that will open SDSU’s new Snapdragon Stadium. When reporters continued to inquire about the case, Wicker and Hock walked out.

However, Vicker returned several minutes later and began answering questions.

“I still strongly believe that allowing the SDPD to handle its investigation was the right way,” Vickers said. “SDPD asked us not to investigate because they felt it would impede or potentially negatively affect their investigation, so we decided to do so.”

Wicker said it also included an informal inquiry such as a coach asking a player if he had heard anything.

“SDPD told us not to investigate. You can tip someone if we start asking questions, and we’re not going to investigate,” Vickers said.

No arrests have been made and police have not publicly identified any suspects. The results of the police investigation are in the hands of the district attorney, although there is no time frame for deciding whether charges will be filed. SDSU said the SDPD had given approval to start the campus investigation on July 22.

The plaintiff in the lawsuit is now 18 years old. She has been identified in the complaint as “Jane Doe” because she was underage at the time.

Attorney Kerry Armstrong, who represents Ariza in the criminal investigation, called the allegations untrue based on the findings of an investigator she had hired.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Ariza’s name had surfaced within days of the party in connection with an allegation of rape, in which at least one report was made by student-athletes to San Diego state officials via an anonymous reporting system. Went.

Asked if he was aware of that anonymous report, Hock said: “I was not aware.”

Asked at what point he first heard Ariza’s name mentioned, Vicker said: “We didn’t get confirmation from anyone who was a party to the incident until the civil trial was over.”

Bill moves on from Ariza: ‘She’s not here. This is not our problem. Complete’

Meanwhile, the Bills say they have moved on from Ariza.

“We’ve already passed it. It’s over,” offensive lineman Dion Dawkins said Monday after Bill’s practice, two days after the team announced Ariza’s release. “He’s not here. It’s not our problem. Done.”

Dawkins admitted that he was upset by the allegations made against Ariza at the trial.

“Thoughts always come, but you just have to try to keep your mind right and not think about things that you really can’t control,” Dawkins said. “Because if you think about all the other messy things going on in the world, you’re going to be really screwed.”

Before practice, coach Sean McDermott addressed players about Ariza’s release, which was announced more than two hours after the team completed practice on Saturday. Team officials, including McDermott and general manager Brandon Bean, were first made aware of the allegations when they were told in late July that Ariza was one of several San Diego State players targeted in a police investigation.

When the team released Matt Hack last week, Ariza was set to become Buffalo’s punter, but the Biles reversed course. Center Mitch Morse defended the team’s handling of the situation.

“I think they handled it well because I don’t envy those situations,” he said. “In the end, I think he made the right decision.”



Source link

Minority owner, away from Stern Alouettes, retains 25 percent of the team. CBC Sports

It’s business as usual for President Mario Cecchini and Montreal Alouettes.

Minority owner Gary Stern announced in an open letter to Montreal fans on Monday that he was stepping down from his position on the day-to-day operations of the club as well as the CFL’s board of governors. Obviously, this caused quite a stir but with the franchise’s ownership structure intact – Stern also said he was keeping his 25 percent stake in the Alouettes – nothing has changed with the team.

Stern and partner/father-in-law, Sid Spiegel, purchased Alouettes from CFL in January 2020, with Spiegel taking a 75 percent ownership stake. But Spiegel never got a chance to see his team play as the league canceled the ’20 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Spiegel died in July 2021. His age was not disclosed, but Spiegel was listed as 89 when he and Stern bought the Alouettes.

“It’s business as usual,” Cecchini said Monday afternoon. “Who will support the team doesn’t change the question.

“It’s 75 percent majority ownership and it goes on. What changes for me, personally, is that majority ownership will have to hire someone other than Gary for me as far as the team is concerned. “

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosi echoed those sentiments.

As a lifelong sports fan, my role with Alouettes was a dream come true. I loved every minute of it.— Alouettes minority owner Gary Stern

“I am in contact with representatives of the majority shareholder of Alouettes,” Ambrosi tweeted. “I am pleased to report that he assured me that ‘business as usual’ continues for the club.”

‘Very tough decision’

In his letter, Stern said his decision to back down was a difficult one.

“Today, I am compelled to share with you my current reality; I can no longer be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Montreal Alouettes,” Stern wrote. “It was a very difficult decision for me and my family, but it is a final decision.

“I love this team. I love Montreal and our fans. As a lifelong sports fan, my role with Alouettes was a dream come true. I loved every minute of it.”

Stern also said that Spiegel’s death dramatically affected his plans for the Alouettes.

WATCH l Cté scored the game-winning field goal on Saturday vs. Ticats:

Alouettes walkout from Tiger-Cats with game-winning field goal

David Cote scored a 48-yard field goal in the final seconds of the fourth quarter to propel Montreal to a 29-28 win over Hamilton.

“His death has effectively postponed the wonderful plans we have for the Alouettes,” Stern wrote. “We were prepared and wanted to make a long-term investment in the future of Alouettes.

“Due to COVID-19’s cancellation of CFL play, Sid, who owned a 75 percent majority, sadly never got a chance to see his team play. I’ll always regret it “

Stern added his ownership stake in the team “will remain.”

“Today, decisions relating to the financing and operations of the team rest with the assets of Sid,” Stern wrote. “Sid and I had a close partnership, which included our shared love of sports and our ability to grow our team, the way we have invested and developed our other joint businesses over the decades, no longer exists.

A powerhouse under ALS Wattenhall

“I wish the best for our team, our fans and our community. I am one of the Alouettes and the CFL’s biggest fans. But when I return to my role as a private citizen and step back from the edge Happy to be back. Thank you everyone in Montreal. The memories we made I will cherish forever.”

American businessman Robert Wattenhall, assisted by his son, Andrew, owned the Alouettes from 1997 to 2018, before the CFL operated the franchise while it discovered new ownership. For most of the larger Wattenhall’s tenure, Montreal was a CFL powerhouse.

From 1999 to 2012, the club finished above the East Division 10 times and advanced to the Gray Cup on eight occasions, winning three. But the Alouettes’ last Gray Cup win under Wattenhall’s ownership was in 2010, and the franchise missed the CFL playoffs in the final four years of its tenure, setting an overall record of 21–51 in that period.

And there were reports that the Alouettes lost $12 million in Wattenhall’s final season as owner. Inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2015, Robert Wattenhall died in September 2021 at the age of 86.

Wattenhall and Stern were polar opposites as owners. While Wattenhall chose to stay behind the scenes, Stern actively went so far as to become the face of the franchise on social media, boldly predicting his team’s victory.

The ’22 season has been a roller-coaster affair for Montreal (4–6), who finished second in the Eastern Division. The team fired head coach Khari Jones after the start of the season 1–3, with GM Danny Macchiosia taking over as coach on an interim basis.

The Montreal is the only CFL team to have defeated the Gray Cup-champion Winnipeg Blue Bombers this season. But last week the club suspended Christoph Normand indefinitely as he faces two charges of luring a child under the age of 18, which includes luring a child under the age of 16, or the allegation that It was held that he was under 16 years of age at the time of the offence.

Montreal hosts the Ottawa Redblacks (2-8) on Friday nights. On August 20, the Alouettes drew a season-high 21,014 fans to Molson Stadium for a 29–28 win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Source link